NSW Aged Care Roundtable calls on Royal Commission to mandate staffing and skills mix in aged care and enhanced supports for carers
As the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety prepares to release its Final Report on February 26th, the NSW Aged Care Roundtable calls on the Commissioners to ensure the recommendations:
• Mandate minimum staffing levels and required mix of skills and qualifications in every residential facility, over every shift
• Ensure transparency and accountability for Government funding
• Mandate paid training (including infection control, palliative care and ongoing professional development) for staff
• Mandate regular staff training on aged care and human rights for recipients and staff, by the Government-funded independent aged care advocacy service
• Increase Government funding, linked to the provision of care and direct employment of permanent staff with decent pay and enough hours to live on
• Guarantee GPs conducting telehealth into a facility have a registered nurse available on site to assist them with remote assessment of residents
• Implement respite services that recognise and support the rights of carers and provide adequate respite options for both older people and their carers, noting individual needs and preferences
• Amend the current aged care assessment to capture the support needs of family and friend carers in order to improve their access to services and support by integrating My Aged Care and Carer Gateway.
The NSW Aged Care Roundtable consists of medical, clinical and consumer and carer advocacy organisations.
The Roundtable works collaboratively to further consumer rights and enhance quality in aged care. The diversity of organisations represented provides opportunity to undertake projects from the perspective of consumers, carers, frontline workers and advocates.
For further comment please contact:
Danica Leys, CEO, Country Women’s Association of NSW (Media Contact: Kylie Galbraith firstname.lastname@example.org or 0411 480 208)
Paul Versteege, Policy Manager, Combined Pensioners & Superannuants Association of NSW Inc.
email@example.com or 0409 814 181